Work-Site constructed in an ecologically distressed region heavily lacking in identity.
Ecological core of landscape region within the Florentine Plain. Region containing numerous lakes and wetlands surrounded by vast ecotone zones (marshes, wetlands, hedges and scrubs). Recently, the surface area was increased by multiple hectares of land currently undergoing diverse projects intended for the generation of new habitats.
Typical suburban area characterized by a simplified landscape, with extensively cultivated fields, old country lanes littered by brick waste and construction material. Shacks and hunting hides are seen throughout, built illegally with wood boards, iron panels and concrete walls.
- European NATURA 2000 Site (Dir. 92/43/CEE)
- European Z.P.S. (Dir. 79/409/CEE)
- Italian WWF Reserve System of Protected Areas
- Area protected by Italian National System of Protected Area
Location. Municipality of Campi Bisenzio, Province of Florence, Tuscany.
Extension. 86 hectares.
Property. Municipality of Campi Bisenzio.
Managing Entity. Comitato per le Oasi WWF dell'Area Fiorentina.
A Brief History.
Construction of work-site divided into three phases:
- Phase I (1997): preliminary work.
- Phase II (1998 - 2009): slight construction of landscape's five lakes and surrounding ecologic zones and interventions over a total of 35 hectares.
- Phase III (from 2009 - present) initial construction implemented on 51 hectares provided by the local administration.
Main bio-indicators (species or ‘groups’ of species) reference for monitoring the ecological functionality of the work-site:
- Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus)
- Little bittern (Ixobrychus minutus)
- Great Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus arundinaceus)
- Reed Warbler (Acrocephalus scirpaceus)
- Ardeidae (with particular attention to: Night heron, nycticorax nycticorax, little egret, egret, grey heron, ardea cinerea, cattle egret, bubulcus ibis, great egret, casmerodius albus)
- Crested newt (Triturus carnifex)
- Newts (Lissotriton vulgaris)
- Green Toads (Bufo viridis)
- Tree Frog (Hyla intermedia)
Main authorities / agencies involved in the planning and creation of the new INTERVENTIONS that take form within the ARTLANDS project:
- Comitato per le Oasi WWF dell'Area Fiorentina
- Comune di Campi Bisenzio
- Consorzio di Bonifica Area Fiorentina
Works in progress
Home / The House of Others
Observatory - Stone Habitat
After Agnes Denes (Tribute to)